Saturday, March 22, 2008

Busy, Busy, Busy

Today ended up being a much busier day then I expected and so it was a little boring food wise, though their are some highlights I thought I'd share with everyone. My roommate and I are the only ones in our house not home for the Easter weekend. This morning we got up and made one of our favorite meals for brunch: Peanut Butter and Banana Sandwiches!!! These sandwiches were made a million times better by the addition of our freshly ground honey roasted peanut butter. OH so good!
After brunch our friend J stopped by to discuss the menu planning for our big Easter Dinner. That's right my friends and I decided that if we were going to be at school Easter weekend then we would just have to celebrate ourselves. I'll reveal our not so top secret menu in my next post, it's going to be delicious! While planning our dinner we decided it would be essential to have an Easter dessert so we decided upon a pie and The Great Easter Pie Search began!

First we went to a local bakery called Culpepper's but the only pies that they had left were weird un-Eastery flavors like Squash and Apple. Not to be discouraged we went to a second bakery, the Crown Bakery. This bakery is renowned for it's Swedish treats but it seemed they only had pumpkin and egg custard pies left and wouldn't be open on Sunday! Our third attempt was the Blue Hydrangea bakery where we were informed that almost all of their pies were pre-ordered and that any extras were long gone at that point. Finally we went to our local supermarket. I had already resigned myself at this point to forgoing the pie, as I assumed all we would find at the grocery store would be some trans fat laden, high fructose corn syrup, sorry excuse for a pie. BUT lo and behold, they had a delicious looking Strawberry Rhubarb Pie produced by the higher end supermarket brand which had NO HFCS and used Palm oil instead of Partially Hydrogenated anything! I nearly jumped for joy and I can't wait to dig in tomorrow!!!!

No comments: