Friday, March 21, 2008

Thursday's Post

This blogging thing is hard to keep up with, I've been soooo busy lately. So this is Thursday's post....I decided today would definitely have to be a cooking day! I woke up this morning and made myself a half recipe of Kath's Baked Oatmeal. IT WAS SOOO GOOD! Not too sweet and I actually felt that I could be satisfied with less of it than my normal serving. I like to try messing with the recipe a little to see if I could make it creamier, my came out more bread like, but this is definitely going on my breakfast rotation.

Then after class and before work I made Sweet Potato Lentil Chili from Dreena Burton's Eat, Drink and Be Vegan and Maple Cornbread. I was inspired to make Maple Corn Bread by Jenna at Eat, Live, Run. I looked at a lot of recipes for them but ultimately I made up own.
Maple Cornbread
1/2 c. whole wheat flour
3/4 c. all purpose flour
1 c. cornmeal
1 dash of cinnamon (optional)
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 t. salt
1 egg (I'm sure egg replacer could be sued as well I just fdon't ave so much experience with it)
3/4 c. non fat milk or soy milk
1/4 c. low fat vanilla yogurt or plain yogurt
1/3 c. maple syrup
2 T. melted butter


Pre heat your oven to 425. When heated place an 8 in cast iron skillet in the oven for 10 minutes. In a large bowl mix all of the dry ingredients. In a smaller bowl mis all of the wet ingredients. Slowly add wet ingredients to dry. Stir to incorporate but do not over mix. Batter should be thick. Remove pan from oven and spray with cooking spray. Add batter to pan and smooth over the top with the back of a spoon or spatula. Bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.

The corn bread came out great and was a HUGE hit with my roomates who upon my invitation gobbled it all up. I barely had time to snap a photo before it was all gone. I meant to take a picture of my Sweet Potato lentil chili when I had it again at dinner but I completely forgot. I recommend that everyone vegan or otherwise buy Eat Drink and Be Vegan and try this recipe! It is really THAT good!

No comments: